This versatile chilli recipe is a firm favourite in our house. It is surprisingly quick and easy to make using a lot of store cupboard ingredients and comes together in less than 40 minutes including prep. It also stores well in the fridge for several days and freezes well making it ideal for batch cooking. Try serving as a filling for tacos or burritos or simply on a bed of rice as a perfect midweek meal.
Ingredients (serves 4 - 6)
- 1 tbsp sunflower or coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks.
- 3 tins of beans, drained. I used a mixture of black beans, black eye and red kidney.
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 500ml - 1litre vegan stock
Optional extras to serve:
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Coconut yoghurt
- Corn tortillas/tacos
- Fresh lime
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the onions for approx 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes then add the ground cumin, coriander and paprika. Stir through and cook for another minute.
- Add the remaining chilli ingredients to the pan. Start with 500ml vegetable stock and add more as needed during cooking or to loosen to desired consistency. Turn the heat to low and allow to simmer until sweet potatoes are tender (approx 25 minutes).
- Stir though fresh coriander if using and serve hot with toppings of your choice.